Star Force Series - book review



I just finished reading the first eight books in the Star Force Series by B. V. Larson at Amazon. Okay, so far these are the only available books in the series, but it is clear from the end of the eighth volume that Larson plans to write more. There's this one little thing he hints at during that last book …
The Star Force books are not Heinlein and I have to think that anyone who makes that comparison is not really thinking about it. Larson's books are fast-paced and full of action. Honestly, I don't think you can go three pages without something blowing up - and that's the kind of book it is. These books are fun, pretty quick to read and full of action. These are what I consider popcorn books - I'll read them, but they don't change my life or make me think of the world differently.
Some of the reviewers say the characters are pretty two-dimensional, and I heartily agree with that assessment. That doesn't automatically make a book good or bad, in my opinion. The character in The Catcher in the Rye isn't two-dimensional and I really dislike that book. Colonel Kyle Riggs is the main character in the series. I actually didn't like him in most of the book and found his outbursts and responses atypical and frustrating, but perhaps that is why I read all the books. He was never the book "hero" as far as I was concerned; he remained too unlikeable. I did like Marvin, the AI, but only because the self-forming robotic being was absolutely bizarre and self-centered.
I normally wouldn't read a series this long; that was my main reason for abandoning Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - he just couldn't bring it to an ending. I like a good ending to a book. That's what I'm looking for. I can wait three books to get to it. I can sometimes wait five. As far as I can recall, this is my first time to wait eight books for a final resolution to the lives of the main characters - and this one probably isn't final. I won't read a ninth book, though. I'm not saying these are not well written - they are. There are tidbits of military history and historical references that were a pleasure to encounter, as well as some of the military tactics.  I'm simply tired of Colonel Kyle Riggs for now. Here are the books in the series.

1              Swarm
2              Extinction
3              Rebellion
4              Conquest
5              Battle Station
6              Empire
7              Annihilation

8              Storm Assault

If you're looking for a book with deep philosophical meaning, don't even bother checking these out. However, if you want something fast-paced and entertaining, go make some popcorn and grab the first book to see how you like it.

It's your call.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles