Captain Phillips - a movie review

The New York Post has an article titled "Crew members: 'Captain Phillips' is one big lie."
Okay, fine. It's the published people who write history and Capt Richard Phillips wrote the book. Hollywood made the movie. It's "based on a true story."
Is it worth watching at the theater?
Well, I think so.
I don't know why, but I'm not a big Tom Hanks fan. I mean, I like him. I can't recall a movie I didn't like him in, but he doesn't normally compel me to buy a movie ticket. There's been a shortage of film outings this fall, though, so Captain Phillips looked like a good reason to go to the movies.
Besides, it was raining outside.
True or not, I have to admit the movie had me on the edge of my seat for most of it.
The movie tells the story of the 2009 hijacking of the MV Maersk Alabama, the first US ship captured by pirates in over 200 year. It was based on "A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea" written by Richard Phillips and Stephan Talty.
Is it true? I don't know. According to the article in The Post, the seamen have different recollections of the events than were portrayed in the movie.
I do know that Tom Hanks is an amazing actor, and his talent is rarely displayed as well as in Captain Phillips. Barkhad Abdi portrayed Muse, the pirate leader and did a splendid job. I'm more afraid of him than I ever was of the Wicked Witch of the West. He's a good actor and I expect him to get some award for this film.
This was a tough film to watch, but it was worth it.
At the end, after Captain Phillips is rescued, I think Tom Hanks gave the performance of his career. My heart broke for the man.
Real? I don't know.
Worth watching? Absolutely, but you could wait for the DVD if you'd rather. I give it a 7/10. C'mon. Gravity was worth seeing at the theater. This one - I'll leave it up to you. I won't watch it again unless it comes on TV, but it was a good film.

Besides, it was raining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles