iPhone to Droid - Part Four (Fini)



I have a lot of data on my iPhone 4S. There are - literally - hundreds of solutions in the internet to capture and transfer the data. Some are more useful than others, but I didn't manage to successfully finish any of them.

I made a complete backup of my iPhone on the Mac and traversed the directory to find the files. Without some sort of database schema, I'm lost at that point.

Some sites said backing it up to the cloud from one machine and bringing it into the other machine via the cloud would work. I can see that working for the pictures, but I backed my pictures up manually. Just plugged the iPhone into my computer, opened the disk and copied each of the picture folders. In my opinion, it should be that easy for all the data on a phone.

My picture history spanned a few years. I hope the pictures are captured elsewhere, but I don't know for certain. That's a future project (I'll put it on my list).

The tricky part seemed to be the SMS text data. I mentioned I have some important history there - the text history with my youngest brother, for instance. I could not find any good solutions for transferring those important bits of personal history.

I found the Phone transfer program by Apowersoft. For about $40, I transferred all my calendar, contact and SMS messages (as well as phone call logs) to my Galaxy S4 from my iPhone 4S. If I were programming a solution, it would be as clean as this one. Check it out here - I don't have any affiliation with them.

On my S4, I manually walked through my contacts and cleaned them up. To delete one, I simply have to touch and hold a contact, then select the Delete. I was vicious about the cleaning, too. If I just contact you via LinkedIn, you've been purged from my phone. Not that you'd notice…

My music? The program wasn't successful for that. I didn't have enough room on my new phone - and it didn't see all my music, anyway. I'm guessing that's an iTunes thing. I do have a solution, though. Almost all our music comes from CDs that we copied to the computer, so I have the originally copied files. I will lose a few songs that I bought through iTunes. I'll worry about them later (I wouldn't want to lose Felicia Day's Do You Want to Date My Avatar?).



So that's it. There are a few things left on my iPhone 4S, but it is comfortably nestled in a music cradle in the study acting as my personal music player. If I need something, I can always go check the phone. I didn't bother with a lot of the apps - how many do I actually use? How many do you?

Back to writing my books. If you're interested in writing (or in my books!), you can check out my Writer's site, or even sign up for my Writer's newsletter.

Ever onward...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles