Who Killed Jesus?



From a Christian perspective, that's the wrong question, but it is a good draw. Don't forget Jesus rose again. He wasn't raised from the dead - He rose Himself. That cannot be said about anyone else in history.

But we're talking about the death of Jesus.

Jesus, the Christ wasn't killed - He gave up His life. Even He said "Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” (Matt 26:53-54)

Did Judas kill Jesus?
According to the Bible, Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus to the Sanhedrin for thirty pieces of silver. In remorse, Judas threw the money back at them and hung himself. If instead he knelt at the feet of Jesus and asked for forgiveness, what do you think Jesus would have done?

The Romans?
The Romans certainly perfected the "art" of crucifixion. They wielded the implements of torture that beat Jesus, tearing the flesh from His bones and causing His blood to flow into the ground. The thorns that pierced the head of Jesus made blood pour blood into His eyes, Finally, a Roman soldier pierced Him a spear, causing blood and water to pour from his side.

Did the Jewish leaders kill Jesus?
The Jewish leaders delivered Jesus to Pontius Pilate, who "announced to the chief priests and the crowd, 'I find no basis for a charge against this man.'" "When he (Pilate) learned that Jesus was under Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem at that time." (Luke 23)

When Jesus appeared before Herod, "the chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him. Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate."

Pilate was willing to punish him, though the crowd (incited by the Jewish leaders) insisted they crucify Jesus.

The Jewish people?
Early Church Fathers blamed the Jews, leading most of the Christian world to do the same. A sad list of these noble leaders of the Early Church and what they wrote is found here, and includes Pope Clement I, Origen, Saint Gregory, Saint Augustine of Hippo, Saint Ambrose, Pope Gregory VII, Saint Thomas Aquinas, and another dozen or so up to and past Pope Benedict XIV.

Warning - it is not a pleasant page to read.

What the ECFs overlooked (in my humble opinion) is that not all Jews sought the death of Jesus. In fact, Jesus was a Jew, and a  notable example was "a man named Joseph, a member of the Council, a good and upright man, who had not consented to their decision and action."

When I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior, I realized who caused His sacrificial death on the cross.

I Killed Jesus. I caused my chosen Lord the pain. He chose to die for me, and even if I were the only one, He'd do it again, though I don't deserve His mercy and certainly not His sacrifice.

I am forgiven, and for that I am eternally thankful.

He died for me. When I see Him again in Heaven (or if He comes again early) I can only think I will fall at His feet in sorrow, but I will gaze into His face with thanks.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles