Basics - Belief




We each choose what to believe in our lives. We should choose wisely.


In the movie Secondhand Lions (2003), Hub says "Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."

I've always like that line, and if I had a better memory, I'd memorize it.

The online dictionary (dictionary.com) defines the verb to believe as "to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so."

We don't argue over facts.

We shouldn't argue beliefs.

In my past I was gently mocked for my Christian beliefs. The very smart people I was with equated Christianity with a lack of intelligence.

Let me be clear; I struggled for decades with Christian beliefs and Biblical truth. Sometimes, in the dark of my mind I still struggle. Ultimately it ends the sames way.

I believe in God the Father, in Jesus Christ, in the Holy Spirit - and that the three distinct persons are one. I believe that God became man to die for my sins. I believe that He is a personal God - and I have personal experience that backs that belief.

I think there is enough circumstantial evidence to warrant my belief, but others might decide differently. That's okay.

My belief gets me through some tough times, with a knowledge that the God of the Universe loves me and watches over me.

I'm accountable, and that makes me a better person.

That's enough for me. 

In the end, that should be enough for anyone else as well.

God bless you, and thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles