Steampunk

I have become a big fan of the Steampunk genre.
If I were more crafty, I'd probably be a big fan of creating devices also, like this amazing lightning gun reported on smartplanet ™. Rob Flickenger, the maker of the gun, shows how to make the gun on his blog post that he was inspired by the graphic novel Five Fist of Science. As I said, I'm a big fan of Steampunk now, and this book seems to be a terrific read, but at over $65 I'm not about to go and buy it. Feel free to use the link and read it yourself, though (yes, I am an affiliate!). Let me know what you think.
My latest read in the genre were the first two books in The Magnificent Devices trilogy by Shelley Adina, which started with Lady of Devices and continued with Her Own Devices. I am fascinated by the author as well. I was curious when her next book was going to come out, so went to her web page, then to her blog. She's quite busy with appearances at different Steampunk conferences and expects to release the third book in September of this year (that will keep you from having to do the research on your own). I've since lost the link to her blog (couldn't even find it on her web page). Her short bios mention that she wrote her first novel at age thirteen, went on to obtain an MFA (Master of Fine Arts) and loves to travel and rescue chickens. We write what we know. Read the books and you'll know what I mean. They are young adult fiction, but I guess I'm always going to be young at heart. Especially if it means I get to read a good story.
I also recently read the first two books of The Society of Steam. Written by Andrew P. Mayer, this series also has a strong female lead character. I liked the first book, The Falling Machine but realized it was only setting the stage for the better second book, Hearts of Smoke and Steam. That one ended on a cliff-hanger, so I'll have to wait and see what happens.
Of course, some try hard to be another Sherlock Holmes, and do a decent job of it. I enjoyed The Steampunk Detective, by Darrell Pitt. His main character wasn't Sherlock, and the mystery wasn't that significant, but it was a good read. A popcorn book, I'd call it.
I still love my science fiction, fascinated by the machines that might someday become reality. I guess it is the same pull for Steampunk - a fascination for machines that might have been.
As long as they are good stories, I'm game. And maybe I'll make a lightning gun!
Rob Flickenger and his ray gun. Awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles