Google Chromecast HDMI - a gadget review


If you're expecting a long review of the Google Chromecast HDMI, you'll be disappointed.
I ordered this from Amazon a few days after it was announced, on July 29.  Immediately they sent me a backorder notification. That didn't disturb me. I knew I missed the very short window after they advertised the device.
On August 9 I received a notice that the device would take longer than anticipated. I have to admit my enthusiasm had waned at this point, but I still wanted to take a look at the device and see how it works. After all, it's a geeky toy.
Amazon shipped the Google Chromecast HDMI to me on Sept 9 and I received it a few days later.
You had to wait more than a month for me to write my review, didn't you?
I'm sorry. I thought everyone had one by now. My buddy here at work just asked me what I thought of it, so whoops…

Let's review:
Easy to set up - absolutely. If the back of your TV doesn't have an open USB port (mine doesn't) you need to plug the Chromecast into a wall socket, but they send the required hardware, so it isn't a big issue. After all, your TV is by a plug anyway.
I had it up and running in just a few minutes.
A few minutes later I was watching a Netflix movie on my TV, streaming the video from my iPad. I have to say, it was a lovely experience.
Now, let me be clear. I didn't hook the Chromecast up to my main TV in the den. I don't have to. I have an Apple™ TV hooked up there (and my PS3, but that's not really relevant).
I hooked this up to the TV in my room, which, until this point, just sat there unable to do anything since we removed the cable box a few months ago. Having a Chromecast give me the ability to stream Netflix movies to the TV is pretty sweet. At $35 the price point is perfect. If I had another room with a disconnected television I'd buy another one of these things.
Any bad? Well, I'd like some other services to stream to it, but it's just a matter of time, I think. In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with it.
I know. I should have told you sooner. I'm sorry!
Go ahead and get one. You'll like it.
Google Chromecast HDMI at Amazon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles