Movie Reviews

The 100-Foot Journey
I liked it. When movies show scenery of France my heart almost stops, as if a great hand wraps around it and tugs it from my chest. (If I believed in reincarnation, I'd think I came from France.) The cinematography of this movie had that hand squeezing my heart - there was so much beauty that I think I actually gasped a few times (but I won't admit it if I did).

The plot is good, though I won't say it is superb. I will say the acting was superb. The story fleshed each character out, but the actors brought them to life perfectly. I won't even pick out a favorite actor/actress (but I will say I have a hard time believing that Dame Helen Mirren is English and not French now!).

Oh, and there was food. I do love food.

I owed Darling a movie that wasn't all explosions and superheroes.

For once, I chose wisely. I can give it an easy eight of ten stars. (I don't buy these kind of movies, but if I did, this would be one I'd buy - if only for the cinematography!)


Guardians of the Galaxy
Green is good
I had high hopes for this movie, and the hype that surrounded it only made me expect more.

I was disappointed, and I wish I could point at one or two specific things that made me think less of the movie, but I can't. (SPOILER: Perhaps the Howard the Duck thing … I don't know.)

If I'd been expecting a little less I would have been fine, I think. GotG was certainly non-stop action from start to finish. The plot was good, not great. The dialog was funny, though I think a lot of the humor was borderline potty-humor (which still makes me laugh, so it counts). The characters meshed well, and I'll go see Zoe Saldana in anything now, regardless of what color they make her. She is a great actress, too.
Blue is good

I did like it. I think I expected too much. Well, they are making a sequel, so I can look forward to that one, too.

I can only give it a seven of ten stars, and I wouldn't buy it for my collection, even though it is the right genre. I would watch it again, though.



Lucy
I'm so confused.

I think I liked it. I'm not sure.

What exactly happened? Why was I watching an antelope?

I loved watching Scarlett Johansson kick butt and prove she can act. Really. Contrast her character from the first part of the film to the end. She can act.

I'm still confused.

I can only give it five out of ten stars and I don't even want to watch it again. Well, maybe I do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles