Opinel by Charlie

I have followed Charlie Sorrel and his articles for years. Before Cult of Mac, Charlie wrote for Wired. He's witty, insightful, and slightly irreverent. He has one of the keenest minds for reviewing things that I've ever followed - and that not only includes the software he reviews, but the hardware.

A few months ago Charlie reviewed knives.

He doesn't usually do that. Reviews written by Charlie almost always have something to do with computers or cycling. This one didn't. This was just about some of the best knives ever made - Opinel knives.

Now, to be frank (hi Frank!), I am a nut for knives. I have to keep myself from buying one almost every time I go to a store. I don't know what it is, but knives attract me. I even have a book on making knives and fully intend to do so in the next few years after I retire. So an article on knives? By Charlie? Oh, yeah.

I can't describe the knives better than Charlie can. Here's his article from May.

This one is beautiful
I pondered and dithered. I reined myself in and didn't buy the complete set of Opinel knives, blade sizes from No2 to the large No12.

I did buy the No6 and the boxed No8. I considered the Brazilian Rosewood handled No6 knife, but they were sold out. If they come back I might get one.


I received my two knives in the mail two days after I ordered them. So far I have only used the No6, but it is a beautiful knife, and extremely sharp, slicing through tomatoes liked they are warm butter (yeah, that's a cliche, but it's the only thing I can think of).

The little ring that locks the blade (closed or open) is very tight. I have a hard time moving it right now, but that will change with use.

So far I think these are my favorite knives, with the exception of my Swiss Army knife, which goes everywhere with me.

If you like knives, I'd recommend you take a look at the Opinel knives.

I think Charlie is right - they might be the best knives made in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles