Basics - Bible



Yesterday, I wrote about Belief. That's the basis of your entire life, if you think about it. Your beliefs frame who you are in this world.

Many wise people have said that it isn't what life tosses at you that counts - it's how you respond. Your response is in your control, not life.

How does this relate to the Bible?

If you want to hear God speak, read the Bible out loud.

I believe the Bible is the Word of God. Period. That's not really open for debate. Sorry. Disagree if you like, and I'll respect your disagreement. I spent half a century thinking about the Bible and how it relates to my life and that is my conclusion.

Interestingly, the Bible is more than that for me. It is full of Good Stuff, and that's the kind of book that makes me come back again and again.

Wondering how to behave in life? Romans 12. 

I have a story for that. (Sorry, kids.) Years ago an old woman was asked how she managed to be so full of grace during all the long years of her life. She replied that she memorized Romans 12 as a child and followed what it said.

People noticed.

"Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment." Good advice.

"Love must be sincere." You'd think that was obvious, but many people don't follow that one.

"Hate what is evil; cling to what is good." I know many people who cling to what is bad, and I'm sure you do, too.

"Live in harmony with one another." In this time of political strife in our country, that's a good bit of advice.

I didn't even scratch the surface. The Bible has good advice in it for any situation.

More than that, it also has good news. If your heart is heavy, if you feel alone and that nobody loves you or cares about you - God does. If you feel distant from everyone and there is nobody listening - God listens.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:6-7, NIV) Personally, I experienced that peace a few times in my life.

Not always, but the few times I felt that peace wash over me, I knew I wasn't alone.

Neither are you.

Let me tell you the greatest news of all.

"Jesus loves me, this I know, because the Bible tells me so." Yeah, that one is a child's song - but it comes from the Bible.

God loves you, no matter where you are in your life. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles