Stansberry Leaves the Business




So I received a newsletter from Stansberry Research written by Porter Stansberry titled Stansberry Research is Leaving the Newsletter Business Forever.

Yeah, right. I read the entire newsletter - all thirty (30) pages of it - and I ended up laughing my butt off. Porter ends this message by inviting people to sign up for his new service, Porter Stansberry For Lifetime (I think - that part was a bit muddled) with, of course, the warning that this was a once-in-a-lifetime-never-gonna-do-it-again offer expiring January 31st. (Yes, I'm late putting this one out, but I wouldn't want you rushing to sign up anyway.)

This isn't news, folks. It's another sales pitch, sent to those of us who were subscribers.

Is Porter changing his strategy? Sort of. He's now going to offer only the lifetime memberships to his service, which will include his Stansberry Terminal software. The software designed to make you wealthy.

Only if you're selling it.

His Lifetime memberships to this exclusive cabal are pricey - well outside the amount I am comfortable parting with, especially for dubious advice with disclaimers attached. Yes, it is only a thousand dollars and Porter says on page 24...

Right now, all I'm asking for is a one-time subscription fee of just $1,000. 
If you think that's too much money - please stop reading. 
And please... I don't want to hear any complaints about how I'm catering only to the rich.
That's nonsense. 
Look... if you can't afford $1,000, you are best suited for a different type of research.
Wow. See what he did there? He almost made me reach for my wallet, because of course I don't want to be left out of the big boy's club. I can afford $1,000. I'm planning to buy some new couches this week and that will cost me more than that.

But when I sit down on those couches, they'll prop me up, just as advertised. The couches will do what the makers say they will.

I can't really trust someone else to do that with advice that involves my money.

Remember the Investment Rule: Nobody cares about your money as much as you do.
Corollary: They want your money to be their money.

Porter adds:

If you are not willing to pay $1,000 for a lifetime of access to the best investment ideas in the entire markets... well... there's simply very little I can do for you.
Ouch. I'm left in the cold again.

Oh, one more thing, there is a small yearly maintenance fee for your Lifetime Subscription - uh, Membership.

If you want to sign up, by all means I understand. Porter is the best at what he does and nobody else in the newsletter business can really keep up with the reports he writes. I admire what he's done, and I do think Steve Sjuggerad is a genius.

But again, here's the bottom line. This is your money, and handing it over to someone else makes them rich, not you.

So what to do? That's the question.

Yes, I think there are storms on the horizon, and I, like many of you, are properly concerned. What to do ... more to come in the future.

Thanks for reading.




Comments

  1. Vince,

    another well written article outlining a topic that I keep very up to date with.... MONEY! It's slightly annoying how many guru's, courses, tutorials, etc are now out there that the market that didn't exist 20 years ago is now hard to distinguish between authentic or a scheme.

    your investment rule hit it right on the head. Remember the Investment Rule: Nobody cares about your money as much as you do.
    Corollary: They want your money to be their money.

    Majority of businesses want to cut expenses while increasing profits which means they want to provide the minimum service that would facilitate maximum profit. Call me a pessimist but when it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck and looks like a duck, I'm going to call it a duck.

    I have found the articles I've read to be heavily insightful and I appreciate the time you take to write them. I wish you a very blessed day and look forward to more content!

    Sincerely,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. I appreciate you taking the time to read these and I wish you a blessed day as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles