Lee Elston, Farewell Cousin

My cousin Lee Elston of Brown City, Michigan died yesterday.

Really, he was my mother's cousin, but that's such a mouthful.

Lee, Jan, Kathleen and Paul
(Yeah, I stole this from Kathleen's page)

I have only a few memories of Lee, since he was ten years older than I. He visited us when we lived in Rhode Island, so that would be 1964 or so. Perhaps it was spring or summer.

Dad was trying to fix something in the yard – I doubt it was sewer since we lived in the city, but it sure seemed to be a septic tank in my memory. Lee pitched in and dug for hours with Dad. I remember that because I tried to help, but real work had little attraction for an eight year old.

Now that specific task is lost forever. I don't recall, and the only people who would really know are gone. 

I wasn't very old, but I remember Mom talking to someone about Lee and how all the local girls just fell in love with him. Tall, tanned and toned with dark hair and a quick smile. 

A farm boy came to the city and the city girls were never the same. That's what I recall of Lee's visit. I wanted to be Lee when I grew up.

Lee married the beautiful Florence and for a while he lived just north of where Dad and Mom retired. We visited once or twice. His son was small, but much like Lee, outgoing and a little overwhelming. Lee had less hair in those years, but he still had the charm. I think my brothers and I all fell in love with Florence, but we didn't dare tell Lee that.

My heart breaks for all the family. To Florence, Jan, Kathleen and Paul - I just cannot tell you how much I love you all, as the tears spring to my eyes while I type this.

The world is a lesser place without Lee in it.

Comments

  1. So sweet, Vince! And yes! The world is a lesser place without him. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Matt. Lee was one of the finest men I've ever known. The Elston clan are exceptional people, and I'm fortunate to know them and love them.

      Thanks for reading. Have a blessed day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles