Fallout 76: Playability

I'll break my thoughts on FO76 into a few parts.
Does this look familiar? If you played Fallout 4, this looks like the world you grew to know and love.

Or hate.

Maybe both.

FO76 plays almost exactly like FO4. Instead of Raiders, we have these burning folks that know how to use guns and open doors and shoot you square in the face. Yeah, I think they re-skinned the characters, but left the mechanics. It works.

You get quests, similar in nature to the ones in FO4. They lead you deeper and deeper into the world. Stock up on Stimpacks - you'll need them.

Weight has always been a problem in Fallout, and 76 is no different. There are player caches tucked away in different spots. As far as I can tell, you can always find one in the Red Rocket stations. The nice thing is they are all linked, so if you drop ammo in one, you can get it out in a different spot. There is a 400 pound limit on that chest, though. I haven't had a problem so far, but I scrap almost everything, and bundle much of it into bulk at certain stations. The stations might be connected to the cache - I'm not sure.

Still, I carry too many weapons and I'm always weighed down by that. I'm still a bad shot. VATS doesn't freeze time like it used to, so I'm trying to accustom myself to the new techniques.

It's still fun to play, and I'm hooked on it. My wife is once again a Fallout war widow.

She shrugs and says "Go ahead and save the world."

"I'm REBUILDING the world!" I growl in response, fingers flying as I try to kill another robot trying to turn me into fertilizer. Yeah, they want to do that early in the game.

The world is more beautiful than FO4, so that's a plus. I got tired of the boring landscape in the old one. Of course, I played it a lot...

You still get attacked by wild dogs, radroaches, zombies (guess they had to keep those) and those pesky molerats. There are possums, though, that you can use to make Awesome Possum Bacon. Like Bacon of any kind isn't already awesome...

More robots. Even the vendors are robots. There are no NPCs in the game. I sort of miss Trashcan Carla.


Other players are running around and there is no way to lock them out and create your own server. You're assigned a server when you log into the game and there is no way to select one. You CAN join a friend, though, and will end up on their world.

Multi-player has its own challenges, and I'll talk about some of those tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles