Oncology



Had a blood test today and my PSA is down to 80.7.

So far these appointments have been with the local GR branch of oncology. I shall not name names. However, after the visit with the doctor assigned to me, Darling and I felt ... disappointed.

He did give me a number, at least. If I did not get treatment with this cancer, then I have six months to a year left.

So let's talk treatment. Which he did.

He refused to discuss any alternatives, but proceeded to tell me that Androgen Deprivation Therapy (originally identified as viable in 1941) was the way to go. He did hook me when he said ADT would eliminate my almost-constant pain, and within a few days. He did tell me about a patient who hurt so bad he couldn't roll over. A few hours after treatment he was in the shower and shaving.

I can give you the first part of the therapy today, he said, as long as insurance approves it. Okay, we say. The shot will have to come, uhm, maybe Thursday, he says. Okay, we say.

I have to admit I was sold. No pain by tonight or maybe tomorrow? Let's proceed said I.

Follow me, says the Doctor, so Darling and I follow him to chairs where we are to make a follow-up appointment. They say we cannot get the treatment until we have some training...

Let me add right here that the car ride in to the center was a little painful to me. Not to be too blunt, but I was peeing blood when I went to the rest room. Stupid TURP.

Do we want the training virtually or come back for it? Virtual, I say. I'm not feeling too great and tired of bloody urine. We're scheduled for ten days from now...

Did the man not just say that untreated I have six to twelve months left - and two months plus have already gone by?

On the way home Darling and I are both getting more angry.

So I sent out some notes:

To my personal urologist near the house:

Had a visit with Dr. C today. He obviously has his standard playbook for treating cancer and he convinced us that ADT is the best move forward to combat the current PAIN and decrease the cancerous cells in my bones and lymph nodes and maybe the prostate. Okay. I don't want ADT, but he convinced me it's a good course, at least short-term.

He said he would do it today. Instead we get scheduled for a class that we need in order to take the medicine? What the heck is with that? And the class is 10 days away. Because I went virtual, because - duh, it kind of hurt me a bit to drive in the car that far and back.

Here is what I sent to the advocate, Tyler...

Tyler,

I don't know how it works here in Michigan, but when a doctor says something is important and we should do it right away, they do so. They do not schedule it for ten days out.

What other doctor options do I have in the Grand Rapids/Greenville area for cancer treatment?

I'll copy my personal urologist and PCP on this as well.

Thanks.

Here is what I sent to Dr. C through his portal:

Hey, I thought you were going to prescribe some ADT hormone pills.

Start soon, you said.

Get moving, you said.

Reduce the pain level, you said.

I expect to hear from you on this.

What I'm asking you, as my personal urologist, is what other cancer treatment doctors are available in this area?

We're already planning to move back to Houston near the end of August where I will work to get into MD Anderson, but the pain is taking its toll.

I know the #####-###### guys are your buddies, but maybe I see why you left?

I'd like your opinion on this.


I have not heard back yet, and I might not. I'm angry and pursuing a second oncology opinion. And another doctor. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles